To apply to the National Institute for Energy Ethics and Society (NIEES), please submit:
- A completed Application Form (download Application Form).
- A two-page single-spaced statement describing (1) an issue in energy ethics that you propose to examine during the session and (2) how this study builds on your experience and fits into your future research, education, or occupational plans. Include any other information that further indicates your reasons for applying and what you hope to get out of the program. Finally, provide a brief description of the follow-up activities that you plan to initiate at your home institution or elsewhere after the workshop.
- A recommendation letter from your advisor indicating that s/he has discussed your application with you and supports the plan you have outlined.
Submit your application by emailing items #1 and #2 to OnlineEthics@nae.edu. Your advisor should email item #3 to the same email.
All three items will be accepted between October 31st and November 30th, 2012. They will be reviewed as they are received until all positions are filled.
Applications will be judged on the following criteria, using a scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 high):
- Intellectual quality and originality
- Clear relevance to energy ethics issues
- Evidence of interdisciplinary participation
- Evidence of institutional support and an appropriate follow-up plan
Selection criteria may also reflect the need to achieve a demographically diverse group of participants with varied subject matter interests. All applications will be evaluated independently by at least three experts of different backgrounds and experience, representing science and engineering, the social sciences and humanities, and public- and private-sector organizations.
Cite this page:
Online Ethics Center for Engineering
National Academy of Engineering
Accessed: Sunday, May 19, 2013