Life and Environmental Science Ethics: Multimedia Resources
This collection of multimedia covers topics related to Life and Environmental Science ethics including, genetic engineering, climate change, medical technologies, and more. Multimedia includes podcasts, YouTube channels, recorded lectures, and more.
Center for Bioethics and Social Justice. “Recorded Webinars.” Center for Bioethics and Social Justice," Michigan State University, 2021. https://bioethics.msu.edu/public-seminars/recorded.
- "This page lists all recorded webinars from past Bioethics Brownbag & Webinar Series. Click the button below each series to expand or collapse the list of webinars. Each webinar has a link to its own page where you will find the embedded video player and a full description of the webinar. New webinars are typically posted within 48 hours after the event takes place."
The Center for Ethics in Science & Technology. “By Topic » The Center for Ethics in Science & Technology.” 2021. https://www.ethicscenter.net/resources-by-topic/.
- The Center for Ethics in Science and Technology is based in San Diego. They have many videos relevant to life and environmental science ethics. Topics include: self-driving cars, robotics for assisted living, ethics of climate change and climate engineering, and more.
Examining Ethics. “19: Climate Justice,” Examining Ethics Podcast, 2017. https://www.prindleinstitute.org/podcast/climate-justice/.
- Many people think of climate change as something that will affect the world equally sometime in the distant future. But that’s not true. Some communities are already experiencing the effects. Join special guest host Jen Everett and producers Christiane Wisehart and Sandra Bertin as we learn how to challenge our thinking about the environment with scholar Kyle Whyte.
Examining Ethics. “21: Layered Landscapes,” Examining Ethics Podcast, 2017. https://www.prindleinstitute.org/podcast/layered-landscapes/.
- "What is a layered landscape? How should we restore places with complex social and cultural legacies? Producer Christiane Wisehart traveled to Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge in Madison, Indiana to explore how the former military site was restored into a landscape that is now home to many endangered species. She unpacks the concept of “layered landscapes” with scholars Marion Hourdequin and David Havlick, editors of Restoring Layered Landscapes. This idea is helping to re-shape how restorationists ought to approach their work."
International Genetically Engineered Machine. “Safety - Igem.Org,” ND. https://igem.org/Safety.
- The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation has been a sponsor of iGEM for several years, using the Jamborees as an opportunity to conduct outreach and dialogue with the next generation of synthetic biologists. In the past they hosted those videos, but the links are now broken. You might reach out to see if they could fix the links and/or host the materials on the OEC.
Oxford Uehiro Center for Practical Ethics. “Practical Ethics Channel,” ND. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2P1JGcQvli4Ny4hfecKVw.
- The Practical Ethics Video Series makes the most important and complex debates in practical ethics accessible to a wide audience through brief interviews with high profile philosophers in Oxford. There are several videos related to life sciences (John Harris, Peter Singer, Shelly Kagan, etc.).
Semendeferi, Ioanna. Dear Scientists, 2014. http://www.dearscientists.org/home.php.
- "DEAR SCIENTISTS …" is a film about the seriousness of science ethics and a creative method to impart its message. With an artistic touch, it connects past with present emphasizing the role of feelings and empathy in moral judgment.
UCLA Health. “Ethics Center Lectures," UCLA Health, ND. https://www.uclahealth.org/ethics-center/ethics-center-lectures.
- The UCLA Ethics Center Lectures cover a range of topics relevant to life and environmental science ethics. Topics include: assisted suicide, genetics, advancing biotechnologies, and more.
University of Oxford. “Uehiro Lectures: Practical Solutions for Ethical Challenges." University of Oxford Podcasts - Audio and Video Lectures, ND. http://www.podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/uehiro-lectures-practical-solutions-ethical-challenges.
- "The annual public Uehiro Lecture Series captures the ethos of the Uehiro Centre, which is to bring the best scholarship in analytic philosophy to bear on the most significant problems of our time, and to make progress in the analysis and resolution of these issues to the highest academic standard, in a manner that is also accessible to the general public. Philosophy should not only create knowledge, it should make people’s lives better."