Proposed Revisions to the Common Rule: Perspectives of Social and Behavioral Scientists: Workshop Summary
This Workshop Summary focuses on six broad topic areas:
- Evidence on the functioning of the Common Rule and of institutional review boards (IRBs), to provide context for the proposed revisions.
- The types and levels of risks and harms encountered in social and behavioral sciences, and issues related to the severity and probability of harm.
- The consent process and special populations.
- Issues related to the protection of research participants in studies that involve use of existing data and data sharing.
- Multidisciplinary and multisite studies.
- The purview and roles of IRBs.