For Engineering and Science
Recommended Readings and Online Resources
Recommended readings for unit 4 of the Course on Genomics, Ethics, and Society.
- Defining environmental risk assessment criteria for genetically modified fishes to be placed on the EU market (2010, May 27). Retrieved from http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/supporting/pub/69e.htm
- Devlin, R. H., Yesaki, T. Y., Biagi, C. A., Donaldson, E. M., Swanson, P., & Chan, W-K. (2002). Extraordinary salmon growth. Nature, 371, 209-210.
- Du, S.J., Gong, Z., Flecther, G. L., Schears, M. A., King, M. J., Idler, D. R., & Hew, C. L. (1992) Growth enhancement in transgenic salmon by the use of an “all fish” chimeric growth hormone gene construct. Biotechnology, 10, 176-181.
- Fleming, I. A., & Gross, M. T. (1993) Breeding success of hatchery and wild coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) in competition. Ecological Applications, 3, 230–245.
- Fletcher, G. L., Shears, M. A., Yaskowiak, E. S., King, M. J., & Goddard, S. V. (2004). Gene transfer: potential to enhance the genome of Atlantic salmon for aquaculture. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture, 44, 1095-1100.
- Forabosco, F., Löhmus, M., Rydhmer, L., & Sundström, L. F. (2013). Genetically modified farm animals and fish in agriculture: A review. Livestock Science, 153, 1–9.
- Gottlieb, S., & Wheeler, M. B. (2011, June). Genetically engineered animals and public health: Compelling benefits for health care, nutrition, the environment, and animal welfare. Retrieved from http://www.bio.org/sites/default/files/2011_ge%20animal_benefits_report.pdf
- Greger, M. (2011). Transgenesis in animal agriculture: Addressing animal health and welfare concerns. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics, 24, 451-472.
- Hew, C.L., Fletcher, G. L., & Davies, P. L. (1995). Transgenic salmon: tailoring the genome for food production. Journal of Fish Biology, 47, 1-19.
- Letter to Barack Obama (2012, September 15). Retrieved from http://www.nature.com/polopoly_fs/7.6923!/file/Letter%20to%20Barack%20Obama%20Sept%202012.pdf
- Pollack, A. (2012, May 21). An entrepreneur bankrolls a genetically engineered salmon. New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/business/kakha-bendukidze-holds-fate-of-gene-engineered-salmon.html
- Taken for a ride (2011, July 7). Nature, 475. Retrieved from http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v475/n7354/full/475005a.html
- FDA entry on Genetically Engineered Salmon: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/GeneticEngineering/GeneticallyEngineeredAnimals/ucm280853.htm
- FDA Guidance for industry: Regulation of genetically engineered animals containing heritable recombinant DNA constructs. Retrieved from http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/GuidanceComplianceEnforcement/GuidanceforIndustry/UCM113903.pdf